Sunday, March 26, 2006

Top 5 Cover Songs

This is a rare case. Whenever I do my Cinco lists, I try to aim to have some consistency. I try not to have something be outranked/omitted in one list only be to ranked higher/placed on a subsequent similar list. One example of where I don't do this is my Top WrestleMania Matches list and my Top Wrestilng Matches list. In which case I'll retcon the latter list. Hogan v. Savage was good, but better than TLC II, Savage/Steamboat, and Hart/Michaels II, definitely not.

I also try to make sure I don't do the same list twice. The following post is an example of me doing just that. When I got to the top of the list I got a feeling that "hey, I've done this before." I searched through Cinco and nothing came up, forgetting that I have/had about 3 other places on the web where I spew my thoughts. Definitely pulled up a list from BlogMix which was posted on July 20th, 2005. I've included that list also in this post...

=======================================================

5) Atreyu (Bon Jovi) - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
Very faithful to the source material w/ a hard metal edge thrown in. I'm not sure what Atreyu was going for in covering this song, but hardcore credibility probably wasn't it. Either way, great version.

4) Marilyn Manson (Gloria Jones) - "Tainted Love"
A cover of a cover (Soft Cell was not the original artist)... Manson's version does a really good job of capturing the torment and angst felt when one goes through a troublesome breakup. Slighty demonic bassline, but hey, it adds a little spice to it.

3) Outshine (Outfield) - "Your Love"
The vocals aren't as good as the original, but I think the music and tempo is actually better in this one. The difference is almost night and day. Speaking of which, this version is better for driving around at night while the original would seem to fit better on a summer day w/ the top down.

2) Britney Spears (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts) - "I Love Rock & Roll"
Rag on Brit Brit all you want. Sure she's married to that loser kFed. Yeah, she's released a few songs that fell flat. And let's not forget that HORRIBLE version of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative" she did a few years back. But even w/ all that in her back catalog, the heir apparent to Madonna's "Queen of Pop" title did a wonderful job on The Blackhearts staple song. The guitar work isn't as good, but Brit's sexy vocals do more than enought to make up for it.

1) Orgy (New Order) - "Blue Monday"
Definitely a case of preferring the cover over the original. While the original was covered in 80s NuWave Synthesizers, this one is definitely more rock based. Guess which one has aged well and which one hasn't. The New Order version definitely dates itself.

========================================================
July 20, 2005 - From EAP BlogMix

In one of those "I think I'll make a CD...wait, this would also make a good list for the EAP" moments, here's a list of my favorite cover songs. Instead of letting this rot away on my HD until I decide to write an actual EAP (which might be a while. I like doing the daily snippets thing), I figured I'd go ahead and post this now.

Songs in blue mean I actually prefer this version over the original. Enjoy. Leave comments with anything you think I left out or should give a listen to.

My Favorite Cover Songs:
10) Faith Hill – “Cry” (Originally performed by Angie Aparo)
9) Nikki French – “Total Eclipse of the Heart” (Originally performed by Bonnie Taylor)
8) DJ Sammy ft Yanou – “Heaven” (Originally performed by Brian Adams)
7) Marilyn Manson – “Tainted Love” (Made famous by Soft Cell, Originally performed by Gloria Jones)
6) Outshine – “Your Love” (Originally performed by Outfield)
5)
Pearl Jam – “Last Kiss” (Originally performed by Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers)
4)
DHT – “Listen To Your Heart” (Originally performed by Roxette)
3) Solar Twins – “Rock the Casbah” (Originally performed by The Clash)
2)
Orgy – “Blue Monday” (Originally performed by New Order)
1)
Missing Heart – “Moonlight Shadow” (Originally performed by Maggie Reilly)

Honorable Mention
Alien Ant Farm – “Smooth Criminal” (Originally performed by Michael Jackson)
Rod Stewart – “The First Cut is the Deepest” (Originally performed by Cat Stevens)
=== I truly believe that Sheryl Crow covered the Rod Stewart version and not the original ===
Michael Andrews – “Mad World” (Originally performed by Tears For Fears)

Snoop Dogg - "Vapors" (Originally performed by Biz Markie)

Dishonorable Mention
Presidents of the USA – “Video Killed the Radio Star” (Originally performed by The Buggles)
Madonna – “American Pie” (Originally performed by Don McLean)
William Hung – “Hotel California” (Originally performed by The Eagles)
=== I know he was cashing in on his 15 mins of fame, but this is a classic. !No toque! ===

==============================================================
Okay, at least on the bright side, the 3 songs that are included on the new list are in the same "order" as they were on the original list. As for the rest of the list, I flat out forgot about the other songs. 5 can be a restraining number sometimes so you tend to remember the 5 most prominent songs. With that being said, there are 2 new songs on the list, so I've got to fit them in there somewhere...so without furuther adieu...

10) Atreyu - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
9) Faith Hill - "Cry"*
8) Marilyn Manson - "Tainted Love"
7) Outshine - "Your Love"
6) Pearl Jam - "Last Kiss"
5) DHT - "Listen To Your Heart"
4) Britney Spears - "I Love Rock & Roll"
3) Solar Twins - "Rock the Casbah"
2) Orgy - "Blue Monday"
1) Missing Heart - "Moonlight Shadow"

*I know. I bumped it up one spot. Sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home