Sunday, March 19, 2006

Top 5 WrestleMania Matches

5) WrestleMania 21: RAW v. SmackDown! Interpromotional Match: Kurt Angle v. Shawn Michaels
I almost don't want to put this match on the list since its so new, but hot damn, its that damn good. The last "dream match" that could be had using the Interpromotional rosters was definitely the best one. The best 2 best WWE wrestlers of the last 10 years going at it toe to toe. Easily the best match on the card.

4) WrestleMania X-7: World Tag Team Championship - TLC II: Edge & Christian v. Hardy Boyz v. The Dudley Boys
Many times when the WWE attemps a sequel to a great match, they tend to miss the mark a bit. While the prior SummerSlam's original TLC match delievered, TLC II delievered in every way possible on "the grandest stage of them all." What was possibly one of the best tag team matches in history was also probably one of the most brutal. How do you learn to fall off of a 20 foot ladder? You don't.

3) WrestleMania XII: Iron Man Match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship: Shawn Michaels v. Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Truthfully, I don't really like this match. Its a little slow paced and I remember the fact that its length (60 mins) attributed to the other matches on the card being rather short. I also don't really like Bret Hart. But, my bias aside, I can't deny that this match is a classic. Its also one of the few matches I pull out when people go "How can you watch this fake stuff?" When you have two master technicians in the ring with plenty of time on their hands, they will suck anyone into believing, if only for an instant, that wrestling is "real."

2) WrestleMania III: Intercontinental Championship: "Macho Man" Randy Savage v. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
Sure WrestleMania III is known for setting an indoor attendance record of 93,173, a record that still stands today. And its also known for Hulk Hogan being the first man to successfully bodyslam and pin Andre the Giant. But what it should be known for is the 5-star classic that Savage and Steamboat put on. Its so good that I've already made it a pre-req that any woman who marries me has to know what the best match at WrestleMania III was. It saddens me that when I did a Top 5 Wrestling Matches back in the early days of Cinco, I completely forgot about this match. I'm a bad wrestling fan.

1) WrestleMania X: Ladder Match Intercontinental Championship - Shawn Michaels v. Razor Ramon
THIS is the match that got me hooked on wrestling. I had been a big fan before, but wasn't die hard. That all changed after this match. Revolutionary for its time and it still holds up very nicely today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home